Tuesday, May 04, 2010

My Photoshop Sketching Brush

I get asked a lot about the brushes that I use in Photoshop. I have often said that I only use one or two brushes in each program, and this still holds true. This brush is my "go to" brush when I want to rough out ideas, or sketch up something quickly. It is a standard brush, and comes in the box ready to go. The trick for me is using the pressure sensitivity of my tablet to dictate my line size and opacity.

You can see above how this creates a "buildup" of opacity, just as a pencil would in real life. As usual, the finer the detail, the smaller the brush. This brush also serves as a good "quick color" tool at larger sizes.

Nothing groundbreaking here, but I did want to let you know what I was using. With Photoshop, the trick is to make it work for you, not the other way around. Spend some time to find tools that fit your drawing style, and save those puppies!

2 comments:

Lesley Vamos said...

Thanks for the tip! ^_^

drono said...

thanks for posting that. awesome to see the back-end.
your drawings are always fun to see.